Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving 17-27

17) I am thankful for my high school friends. These are friends who have seen me at my most ridiculous. If you can love someone through her awkward preteen and teenage years (and mine were especially awkward, angsty, and ridiculous) you deserve some sort of prize. Thanks for loving me despite my many, many flaws. I love you, too.

18) I'm thankful for the friends I met in college. I got the privilege to sing and make music with some fantastic people. I had fabulous, funny, loving and talented friends from the music department, friends from the theatre department (which I wholeheartedly wish I had been more involved with because those were some amazing people), friends I met through Spanish, Gospel Choir, or other extra-curricular activities, and the dear, lovely, and hilarious group I lived in such close proximity with. They taught me to love country music. They helped me to learn to like myself. I did a lot of growing up in college and I'm lucky to have had support from some of my best friends still to this day. I also had a few really amazing professors.

19) Speaking of college, I am so thankful that I got to spend 5 years doing one of the things I love the most - singing! Even though I didn't go to graduate school for music, and it didn't lead to a career for me, I feel blessed I got to sing so much and learn so much. I really do love the challenging type of singing I studied in school and I miss doing that kind of work.

20) I'm thankful for my dog eating the food my kids drop on the floor. Yes, seriously. Before we got her I swept a kajillion times a day. I did not want a dog, but as far as dogs go, she's pretty cool.

21) I have a comfortable, warm house. I have electric lights, running water, heat, air conditioning, an electric stove, washer and dryer, a yard, a fridge and luxuries too numerous to count.

22) Even though I have Marfan Syndrome, I have been able to carry four children to full term. I am grateful that my disorder was discovered early in my life and that I have been treated successfully with activity restrictions, medications, and surgery. Although I carry extra weight, I am otherwise healthy and I am so grateful.

23) I am thankful to have been able to carry children at all. My heart grieves for my friends who want to carry a child and cannot. My heart also grieves for the children who need families. I know how lucky I am, and those of you who struggle with infertility have a special place in my prayers.

24) I'm thankful for the change in seasons. Weather in the midwest is not always awesome. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the sun in ten days. There's a lot to complain about, but I really do love the fresh greenness of spring and the crisp coolness of autumn. I will even concede that there are some things I like about summer and I can even get behind the enthusiasm for the first snow of the season.

25) I'm thankful for things that help make me feel pretty; the occasional pedicure, makeup, lotion that smells nice, new clothes once in a while, and my friend Autumn who cuts my hair.

26) I can't believe I waited so long to say this but I am thankful for my Marfriends! I don't have as many friends with Marfan as I hope to have someday, since I'm kind of newly getting involved in the community, but I have met some wonderful ladies who are near and dear to my heart. My wonderful friend came to stay with me after Jonah died and she was of utmost comfort to me. She blogs at www.marfmom.com :)

27) I'm also grateful for my internet friends, the Babyzone girls. We were all on a message board together when we were due with our babies born in May of 2007. Over four years later, a lot of us are still friends and keep in touch. How cool is that? Several I have met in real life. This is a really great group of ladies and they have supported me through a lot of things that have happened in my life.

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment